This is a unique high end deck we built in Eagan in 2021. It reflects high end design, high end products, and high end carpentry.
Some of the key products:
Beams and posts use Alaskan Yellow Cedar lumber made into glulams.
Decking is thermally modified (strength, stability, lasting) and locally sourced Ash (sustainability).
Pergola and Fascias are made from AYE Cedar.
Railings are aluminum framed stanchions with stainless steel cable railings.
Structural plates connecting posts to footings are ½” x 8” galvanized steel plates 3” galvanized steel tubes.
You can view its slideshow here and learn the complete story on it’s project page.
In the end, this was a great project and shows well. We hope you like it!
Lifting a house to replace the foundation – see the full story HERE
Some benefits of replacing a foundation:
- Proper waterproofing
- Adequate insulation
- New drain tile
- Ease of mechanical system replacement
- Improved wiring and piping
- Finished space with egress windows
This 1920’s farmhouse had a limestone foundation that would have to go.
Lifting the home around 18” provided space to replace mechanicals. Interestingly we discovered that the southern 25% of the home wasn’t even on a foundation or frost footings! This was the kitchen area. Soon to be fixed!
The house was lowered onto the new foundation and now level. Time to fix the drywall/plaster cracks and doors and windows that needed adjusting.
A waterproofed foundation
Wiring and piping
A much better working stairway
It was a great project. To read more click HERE
If you have a challenging remodeling project contact us!
Recently we have had more and more requests for underpinning a foundation to add space to a home.
To learn more about underpinning a foundation visit our featured underpinnings page.
Here are a couple pics that show what can be required and what results can be achieved.
Underpinning excavation taking place
Egress window in unfinished but brand new basement.
Shoring up walls and forms for underpinning a foundation.
Fresh living space created by being able to underpin the foundation.
Large egress window in a spare bedroom created by underpinning the foundation and finishing the basement.
Hallway in finished basement after an underpin of the foundation to create beautiful living space.
After a busy summer season, we’re taking some time to recap and reflect on a current project our team is well underway with.
We are in the heart of Saint Paul with this “tear down and rebuild.” From the start this has been an exciting property to be a part of. We started by demoing the original home to make way for a new, modern house fitting the vision and needs of our homeowners.
This new home will have many state-of-the-art, unique features including:
- A modern, architectural design
- Bluestone steps and covered walks
- Green roof (“live roof”)
- Windows and insulation maximized for energy efficiency
- Cedar Siding
- White Oak Flooring
- “Stair Tower” – a floating stairway, with metal framework, wood treads
- Metal Fireplace
- And much more!
Our progress pictures help add color to this exciting story and capture the journey through real, behind-the-scenes shots. We’re looking forward to seeing the final product and sharing our “After” photos upon completion—stay tuned!
It is that time of year! We are thrilled to be a part of the 2019 Homes by Architect Tour, produced by AIA Minnesota. We are looking forward to this wonderful event and hope to see you there! Here is what you need to know:
- WHEN? September 21 and 22, 2019 / Saturday & Sunday
- TIME? 10AM to 5PM both days
- MORE INFO? Visit Homesbyarchitects.org for maps, tickets, and more info
- WHICH HOME? Home #7 by Showcase Renovations
- ARCHITECT? SALA Architect
- WHERE? 1445 Fairlawn Way, Golden Valley MN 55416
We also wanted to make sure to thanks the many trade partners that we a part of this project, including:
- Scherer Bros. Lumber
- Pride Electric
- B&D Plumbing & Heating
- James LaChance Cabinets
- Decorators Service Co.
- Stockness Construction
Still have questions? Contact us and we will be happy to help! Can’t wait to see you there!
Showcase Renovations is pleased to have 3 projects featured in this year’s Homes By Architects Tour!
Please visit our 3 projects in the 2018 Homes By Architects Tour. When your project demands the highest levels of quality and competence it’s important to hire a design/build contractor that can meet your goals.
At Showcase we collaborate with inspired architects and skilled trade partners to achieve great results for our clients.
Tickets can be purchased at the AIA Minnesota website by clicking HERE.
Here are the three projects represented in this year’s tour:
Congrats! Your project is nearing completion! All of your hard work has shown and your home looks better than ever! But what are some of the wrap-up steps you should take before you cross the finish line?
Here are 5 steps to follow:
1.) INSPECTIONS: While inspections sometimes get a bad reputation, they really are imperative to ensuring safety and quality standards are met. Inspections have your best interest in mind! Ensure Mechanical inspections (plumbing, heating, electrical), and all other final inspections are completed. Sign-off with the local building inspector and get their approval that the project is fully code compliant. This will also indicate the project is complete and approved from the City’s perspective.
2.) WRAP-UP: Work with us or your chosen contractor to perform a final walk-through. This allows you, the client, to address any open issues and punch list items. We guarantee all are addressed as quickly as possible to the client’s satisfaction.
3.) CELEBRATION!: The most fun step of them all! We honor our client with a parting Thank You gift, such as a donation to the client’s favorite charity, gift certificate to a restaurant of choice, or nice bottle of wine. Take some time to pat yourself on the back for making such an amazing commitment to your home… you deserve it!
4.) WARRANTEE: Our warranty policy follows the Minnesota requirements for new home and home improvement work by contractors. Construction work is warrantied by the State for 1 year, workmanship and materials for 2 years, installation of heating-cooling-electrical-plumbing systems for 10 years, and major construction defects have a life-time guarantee. Check with your chosen contractor on warranty policies and make important note of them!
5.) A VISIT FROM US: Our standard best-practice includes a visit from us one year after project completion. We will walk through the entire project space with all clients to confirm satisfaction and address any items that have arisen (think: drywall or other touch-ups).
Keep up the good work and make sure to follow these steps when checking a project off of your list!
This Sunday the Star Tribune’s Home section featured a project designed by architect Bryan Anderson of SALA Architects and built by Showcase Renovations. We are always thrilled to see the projects we work on get attention like this. We have been very fortunate to work with architects of Bryan’s ability and vision as well as others at SALA Architects. Have a look at pictures of the finished project on its portfolio page here.
These before and after images can give you an idea of the dramatic difference that was made in this project.
The leaves are slowly turning, the temperature is dropping, and Autumn is in the air! We always get excited about all of the possibilities new seasons offer for your home—so what are some simple and cost-effective upgrades you can capitalize on this season to fully enjoy all that Fall has to offer?
- Fall fun circled around the firepit—what better way to take in a beautiful Fall evening than gathered around a warm fire with smores, hot cocoa, and your loved ones? Firepits have come a long way over the years; from totally custom built-in pits, to fully transportable and light weight above-ground options, there is a something out there for everyone! Check out your local home improvement store to browse some of the options near you.
- Simple exterior updates make all the difference—in Minnesota, we all know Autumn also means Winter and freezing temps are just around the corner. Be sure to get all your exterior fixes done before the weather is too cold to work outside. Consider replacing your gutters, check into a new roof or garage door, or simply a fresh coat of paint for your home if any of these areas could use some TLC. Have a bigger project that you need some help with? We are here to help! Contact us and we will help you get started.
- Celebrate Autumn with some simple decor—half of the fun with Fall is decorating your home to reflect the changing season and weather! Mum plants are an effortless way to add a pop of color to your yard when all of the leaves have fallen. Pumpkins are a classic touch when Halloween approaches and you want to get into the holiday spirit. There are so many ways to embody this special season that is truly beautiful in the state of Minnesota.
While these are just some of the ways your home can benefit from the changing season, there is much more we can help with! Contact us to get started on a project or to simply ask a question about your home. We wish you and your household a very happy Autumn!