Showcase Renovations is pleased to have 3 projects featured in this year’s Homes By Architects Tour!
Please visit our 3 projects in the 2018 Homes By Architects Tour. When your project demands the highest levels of quality and competence it’s important to hire a design/build contractor that can meet your goals.
At Showcase we collaborate with inspired architects and skilled trade partners to achieve great results for our clients.
Tickets can be purchased at the AIA Minnesota website by clicking HERE.
Here are the three projects represented in this year’s tour:
Congrats! Your project is nearing completion! All of your hard work has shown and your home looks better than ever! But what are some of the wrap-up steps you should take before you cross the finish line?
Here are 5 steps to follow:
1.) INSPECTIONS: While inspections sometimes get a bad reputation, they really are imperative to ensuring safety and quality standards are met. Inspections have your best interest in mind! Ensure Mechanical inspections (plumbing, heating, electrical), and all other final inspections are completed. Sign-off with the local building inspector and get their approval that the project is fully code compliant. This will also indicate the project is complete and approved from the City’s perspective.
2.) WRAP-UP: Work with us or your chosen contractor to perform a final walk-through. This allows you, the client, to address any open issues and punch list items. We guarantee all are addressed as quickly as possible to the client’s satisfaction.
3.) CELEBRATION!: The most fun step of them all! We honor our client with a parting Thank You gift, such as a donation to the client’s favorite charity, gift certificate to a restaurant of choice, or nice bottle of wine. Take some time to pat yourself on the back for making such an amazing commitment to your home… you deserve it!
4.) WARRANTEE: Our warranty policy follows the Minnesota requirements for new home and home improvement work by contractors. Construction work is warrantied by the State for 1 year, workmanship and materials for 2 years, installation of heating-cooling-electrical-plumbing systems for 10 years, and major construction defects have a life-time guarantee. Check with your chosen contractor on warranty policies and make important note of them!
5.) A VISIT FROM US: Our standard best-practice includes a visit from us one year after project completion. We will walk through the entire project space with all clients to confirm satisfaction and address any items that have arisen (think: drywall or other touch-ups).
Keep up the good work and make sure to follow these steps when checking a project off of your list!
This Sunday the Star Tribune’s Home section featured a project designed by architect Bryan Anderson of SALA Architects and built by Showcase Renovations. We are always thrilled to see the projects we work on get attention like this. We have been very fortunate to work with architects of Bryan’s ability and vision as well as others at SALA Architects. Have a look at pictures of the finished project on its portfolio page here.
These before and after images can give you an idea of the dramatic difference that was made in this project.
The leaves are slowly turning, the temperature is dropping, and Autumn is in the air! We always get excited about all of the possibilities new seasons offer for your home—so what are some simple and cost-effective upgrades you can capitalize on this season to fully enjoy all that Fall has to offer?
- Fall fun circled around the firepit—what better way to take in a beautiful Fall evening than gathered around a warm fire with smores, hot cocoa, and your loved ones? Firepits have come a long way over the years; from totally custom built-in pits, to fully transportable and light weight above-ground options, there is a something out there for everyone! Check out your local home improvement store to browse some of the options near you.
- Simple exterior updates make all the difference—in Minnesota, we all know Autumn also means Winter and freezing temps are just around the corner. Be sure to get all your exterior fixes done before the weather is too cold to work outside. Consider replacing your gutters, check into a new roof or garage door, or simply a fresh coat of paint for your home if any of these areas could use some TLC. Have a bigger project that you need some help with? We are here to help! Contact us and we will help you get started.
- Celebrate Autumn with some simple decor—half of the fun with Fall is decorating your home to reflect the changing season and weather! Mum plants are an effortless way to add a pop of color to your yard when all of the leaves have fallen. Pumpkins are a classic touch when Halloween approaches and you want to get into the holiday spirit. There are so many ways to embody this special season that is truly beautiful in the state of Minnesota.
While these are just some of the ways your home can benefit from the changing season, there is much more we can help with! Contact us to get started on a project or to simply ask a question about your home. We wish you and your household a very happy Autumn!
As highlighted in a few of our recent blog posts, Smart-Homes are becoming increasingly prolific in the remodeling and home-building industry. One of our current projects in the Minnetonka Bay area is utilizing these technologies throughout the entire home. So what products and offerings are we incorporating into this transformation and how can you get started on some “smart” changes of your own? Here are five technologies we are using for this home that are worth considering for all homeowners interested in making some “smart” upgrades of their own:
- To start, this home is using Lutron Finire 4″ trimless and 3″ trimless cans throughout. They carry a lot of great long-term cost efficiency benefits including dimming down to 1% and 10yr warranties. Lighting in this home is controlled by Lutron’s RadioRa2 system with keypads throughout the house controlling lighting scenes in each room. This gives homeowners the ability to personalize lighting in each room to give the ambiance they desire while being environmentally
- Moving on to the kitchen, this home features Sonance’s Architectural series 4″ speakers laser-lined with cans to provide a clean look with amazing sound quality. Speakers and cans are exactly the same size and look for a seamless appearance. This is an easy way to upgrade your sound quality while maintaining desired aesthetics.
- Another great way to start upgrading your home’s technology capabilities is with your HVAC system. This home’s HVAC is controlled by Savants Pro centralized multi-zone thermostat processing. This is integrated directly into the home’s control system. It will also include Savant’s energy management control monitoring system which will automatically make adjustments to as many controlled devices as needed.
- We are also including Lutron recessed shades in the Great Room and master bedrooms which read directly to the home’s control system so that they are automated with day, time, and weather. Again, this is a “smart” way to approach energy and lighting efficiency; it is hassle-free for homeowners and great for an on-the-go lifestyle.
- Finally, multiple cameras are being installed throughout the home along with control over the home’s hurricane shutters (also integrated to the central control system) so that they can be raised and lowered from anywhere in the world. Imagine being able to travel the world while also being able to make necessary home adjustments!
While this is only a small list of the vast technologies we are seeing revolutionize the industry today, we are excited to share the merits of this trend with you and the limitless possibilities it presents. Want to learn more about “smart home” technologies and get started on some updates of your own? Contact us!
It is hard to believe that we are already half way through 2017! Time has flown by for us and we could not be more excited about all of the work we are doing for our beloved homeowners. While we find ourselves busy as bees this summer, it is important that we take a step back and reflect on everything we have seen, done, and witnessed along the way. That is why we want to provide you with some of our thoughts and insights from the year to anticipate what is ahead for the industry. Here are a few topics and trends to pay special attention to in 2018:
- Digital & Real-Time: With more and more millennials entering the housing market as first time homebuyers and demanding more tech-savvy appliances, updates, and resources, it is no surprise that remodeling efforts have begun to echo this trend. Think Smart-Kitchens, Smart-Entertainment Centers, Smart-Homes! Nothing is off the table with this seemingly limitless market. Stay ahead of the curve and research some of the products out in the marketplace today to get a feel for where this space is headed.
- Simplify & Streamline: Gone are the days of patterned wallpaper, clutter, and fabric heavy room décor; cutting-edge interior home designs are increasingly minimalistic, sleek, and simple. Consider neutrals with small pops of colors and pair down on unnecessary items. If you are really looking to embody this trend in your everyday life, you may even consider watching the Netflix documentary “Minimalism” to see a dramatic take on this popular ideology.
- Make it YOU: This may seem like common sense, but you would be surprised how many homeowners are tossing out the rule book and truly creating a space that is really their own. Enjoy craft beer? Dedicate a spare room to accommodate your micro-brewing needs. Avid Biker? Look up Pinterest ideas on how to build custom, specialty bike racks or organize your garage around your pedaling-fast-lifestyle. Fitness Guru? Transform your basement into your own personal gym space. The possibilities are endless! Make your home the most comfortable representation of yourself. We live in a world where traditional rooms and spaces are no longer considered must-haves. So have some fun: install a small movie theater, add a meditation room, give your dog a custom-made play space—whatever it is, do more of what makes you happy and allow your home to help along the way!
Need some help getting started? Is 2018 the year you get started on your renovation to-do list? Let us help you get the ball rolling! Contact us with your thoughts, ideas, or just to chat some more about topics of intrigue.
Happy Holidays from your friends at Showcase Renovation Inc.! We are excited to ring in the upcoming New Year with a recap of our recent Winchester Project. This project was all about refreshing the interior of a house, owned by a truly delightful couple. So what exactly did we do to get such a stunning end-result? Here’s a glimpse of some of our favorite project highlights:
- We replaced the dated wood floors with clear Maple for a more modern and stylish look.
- We removed the existing stairway and exchanged it with a gorgeous open stairway with Maple treads (featured in image).
- To capitalize on all of the wonderful natural light this home receives, we put in skylight in the entryway with new smooth and sleek ceilings to really add a fresh look.
- For improved curb appeal, we added a new front door with clear vertical grain Douglas Fir wood. We also put in a front custom gutter to update the home functionality.
- Finally we built in a brand new deck with ironwood decking and cable railings. This is the perfect way to enjoy your yard throughout all of the beautiful Minnesota seasons. The homeowners are really looking forward to utilizing this deck for years to come.
We are thrilled to add another success story to our portfolio and to give another family access to the home of their dreams. We think this is the perfect way to kick off the holiday season by celebrating all of the hard work we are privileged to do for such incredible people everyday. Seasons greetings to you all!
The holiday season is here—this is a great time to transform your home into a place that your loved ones can enjoy for years to come. Whether it is simply prepping for the frigid temperatures or updating your kitchen in time for baking some delicious Christmas cookies, we’ve got you covered. We love hearing your ideas, brainstorming all of the possibilities, and making your renovation dreams come true. Our years of experience coupled with your unique thoughts make the perfect recipe for a new holiday-look!
Need some help getting started? We’ve come up with a few renovation ideas that are perfect for this season:
- Cozy up by a new/updated fireplace—we love coming home from a busy day of work and being able to turn on a warm and welcoming fireplace as we wind down for the evening during the winter. Sound like something you could definitely get used to? We’re here to get the fire started.
- A fresh coat of paint for your holiday space—a warm new color in your living area is the perfect way to compliment your Christmas tree and create a true holiday ambiance in your home. Choose a color that will pair well with your home but can still catch the eye of all of your guests.
- Lights, wreaths, action!—sometimes a total-overhaul of the home isn’t the best option for everyone. So put us on your “wish-list” and focus on inexpensive ways to spruce up the outside of your home in the meantime. A nice wreath, some festive holiday lights, and maybe even a homemade snowman in your yard can still make your house standout on the block. Want to be environmentally-friendly this year? Consider using LED lights to cut down on energy-use.
No matter what your plans for the Holidays are, we hope you are able to take a step back, enjoy precious time with your loved ones, and witness the magic of this time of year!
We recently discussed our beautiful lake-home remodel in a previous post—we now have EVEN MORE exciting information to share about this project. For starters, check out these amazing pictures that truly capture the final product. We are proud to say we met all of the goals set in place for this home and are thrilled with the outcome. To recap, we wanted to:
- Bring this 70’s style ranch home into the modern times by upgrading to efficient heating and mechanical systems, increasing the functionality of livings spaces, and overall giving the home a brand-new look and feel.
- Hear from the the Lady of the Lake (the delightful homeowner) herself—she told us, “we wanted an inviting entry, an improved lake view, updated kitchen and bath, and maintenance-free materials. We shared our wishes with an architect and a contractor (that’s us!) who were able to turn our wishes into a reality.”
We love hearing such positive feedback from the homeowners we work with—it truly makes the entire journey well worth the time and effort. Speaking of time and effort, this project definitely posed some challenges that we are happy to announce were overcome with some attention-to-detail and strategy. Some of these challenges included:
- Replacing an outdated electrical base board heater with a modern high efficiency forced air system (anyone in the business knows this takes some serious dedication)
- Removing attic insulation and mechanical ducting
- Removing an AC unit from a messy and cramped space in an older home
This project was a challenging, yet incredibly enjoyable experience for our team. Updating an older home to live up to its true potential left us all with smiling faces and a final project to be proud of. Want to learn more about this project or talk to us about starting one of your own? Contact us and we will gladly get some conversation started!
With the tremendous popularity of real-time and streamlined Smartphone apps like Uber and Amazon Prime Now, it is no wonder that the American Kitchen seems to be following suit with perpetual advancements in appliance-technology. Imagine a grocery shopping experience where with the swipe of a button, you can see the physical inside of your fridge, allowing you to see which products you are out of and which items you are stocked up on. Well this seemingly futuristic experience is now actually possible. Earlier this year, Samsung released a top-of-the-line refrigerator with numerous special features including the one outlined above. And, it is not just refrigerators that are experiencing a serious technological face-lift; touch-screen microwaves, dishwashers, and even toasters are now also available on the market!
So what are the implications of all of these advanced, technology-savvy appliances? It seems that the days of touch-screens, mobile apps, and voice-activated features have only just begun. We are anticipating the “New American Kitchen” to be filled with these products. As a renovation company, we strive to steer you in the right direction with your kitchen remodeling needs. Want to learn more about which of these luxury appliances will best suit you and your needs? Contact us with your questions and we will be happy to help out!
We know that the new fast-paced, technology-dependent world can be daunting for some people. Let us help make your transition into a modern and up-to-date kitchen as seamless as possible by providing you with all the help you need.