Showcase Renovations is pleased to have 3 projects featured in this year’s Homes By Architects Tour!
Please visit our 3 projects in the 2018 Homes By Architects Tour. When your project demands the highest levels of quality and competence it’s important to hire a design/build contractor that can meet your goals.
At Showcase we collaborate with inspired architects and skilled trade partners to achieve great results for our clients.
Tickets can be purchased at the AIA Minnesota website by clicking HERE.
Here are the three projects represented in this year’s tour:
This Sunday the Star Tribune’s Home section featured a project designed by architect Bryan Anderson of SALA Architects and built by Showcase Renovations. We are always thrilled to see the projects we work on get attention like this. We have been very fortunate to work with architects of Bryan’s ability and vision as well as others at SALA Architects. Have a look at pictures of the finished project on its portfolio page here.
These before and after images can give you an idea of the dramatic difference that was made in this project.
It is hard to believe that we are already half way through 2017! Time has flown by for us and we could not be more excited about all of the work we are doing for our beloved homeowners. While we find ourselves busy as bees this summer, it is important that we take a step back and reflect on everything we have seen, done, and witnessed along the way. That is why we want to provide you with some of our thoughts and insights from the year to anticipate what is ahead for the industry. Here are a few topics and trends to pay special attention to in 2018:
- Digital & Real-Time: With more and more millennials entering the housing market as first time homebuyers and demanding more tech-savvy appliances, updates, and resources, it is no surprise that remodeling efforts have begun to echo this trend. Think Smart-Kitchens, Smart-Entertainment Centers, Smart-Homes! Nothing is off the table with this seemingly limitless market. Stay ahead of the curve and research some of the products out in the marketplace today to get a feel for where this space is headed.
- Simplify & Streamline: Gone are the days of patterned wallpaper, clutter, and fabric heavy room décor; cutting-edge interior home designs are increasingly minimalistic, sleek, and simple. Consider neutrals with small pops of colors and pair down on unnecessary items. If you are really looking to embody this trend in your everyday life, you may even consider watching the Netflix documentary “Minimalism” to see a dramatic take on this popular ideology.
- Make it YOU: This may seem like common sense, but you would be surprised how many homeowners are tossing out the rule book and truly creating a space that is really their own. Enjoy craft beer? Dedicate a spare room to accommodate your micro-brewing needs. Avid Biker? Look up Pinterest ideas on how to build custom, specialty bike racks or organize your garage around your pedaling-fast-lifestyle. Fitness Guru? Transform your basement into your own personal gym space. The possibilities are endless! Make your home the most comfortable representation of yourself. We live in a world where traditional rooms and spaces are no longer considered must-haves. So have some fun: install a small movie theater, add a meditation room, give your dog a custom-made play space—whatever it is, do more of what makes you happy and allow your home to help along the way!
Need some help getting started? Is 2018 the year you get started on your renovation to-do list? Let us help you get the ball rolling! Contact us with your thoughts, ideas, or just to chat some more about topics of intrigue.
We recently discussed our beautiful lake-home remodel in a previous post—we now have EVEN MORE exciting information to share about this project. For starters, check out these amazing pictures that truly capture the final product. We are proud to say we met all of the goals set in place for this home and are thrilled with the outcome. To recap, we wanted to:
- Bring this 70’s style ranch home into the modern times by upgrading to efficient heating and mechanical systems, increasing the functionality of livings spaces, and overall giving the home a brand-new look and feel.
- Hear from the the Lady of the Lake (the delightful homeowner) herself—she told us, “we wanted an inviting entry, an improved lake view, updated kitchen and bath, and maintenance-free materials. We shared our wishes with an architect and a contractor (that’s us!) who were able to turn our wishes into a reality.”
We love hearing such positive feedback from the homeowners we work with—it truly makes the entire journey well worth the time and effort. Speaking of time and effort, this project definitely posed some challenges that we are happy to announce were overcome with some attention-to-detail and strategy. Some of these challenges included:
- Replacing an outdated electrical base board heater with a modern high efficiency forced air system (anyone in the business knows this takes some serious dedication)
- Removing attic insulation and mechanical ducting
- Removing an AC unit from a messy and cramped space in an older home
This project was a challenging, yet incredibly enjoyable experience for our team. Updating an older home to live up to its true potential left us all with smiling faces and a final project to be proud of. Want to learn more about this project or talk to us about starting one of your own? Contact us and we will gladly get some conversation started!
In our last blog, we discussed some of the most popular trends we have been seeing throughout the past year. Summer is the perfect time to highlight one of these trends in more detail: outdoor meal preparation appliances and seating space. Gone are the days of small concrete slabs and portable clearance-priced grills—today we are seeing people transform their backyards into a space dedicated to high-end meals and entertaining. Among millennials, the “create your own” meal idea compliments this trend nicely allowing for easy-to-make vegan and gluten-free options such as grilled home-grown vegetables that can be prepared all in your very own yard. Grills have become more advanced than ever with add-ons and custom design options creating a personalized customer experience.
Another product that is experiencing an increase in demand: outdoor wood-fire ovens. These luxury ovens appeal to the 21st century “foodie” because they can add a delicious woody flavor to your food while simultaneously creating a unique dining experience for your guests. Pinterest is exploding with different flatbread and pizza recipes for these ovens from classic margherita to specialty macaroni & cheese pizza. “Healthy” is an option too with lean, wood-fired chicken breast or turkey making a popular meal entrée as well.
So, what is the best part about this backyard trend? We can help you customize the look and feel for your entire space! Sample different brick, stone, wood, and tile to create a space for you and your family to enjoy for years to come. Minnesota summers are precious and should be spent outdoors while the weather allows. Create meals and memories by transforming your yard into a place that can accommodate the new “family dinner table.”
Have a few ideas you would like to get started on? Contact us and we will get the ball rolling!
As we are now well under our way into the heat of summer, we would like to reflect with you on some of the hottest trends that we have seen this year & provide insight for getting your own remodeling dreams started! From tech savvy kitchen appliances, to low maintenance countertop options, 2016 has opened up new doors in the world of remodeling. Let’s take a look:
- Low maintenance and simplicity proves key—with the switch to paperless, digital, and real-time in the business & banking world, it is no wonder that the same theme of “ease of use” reigns true for home improvement. The rising age of millennials is also a contributing factor to this trend. According to Consumer Reports, when surveying 18 to 35 year olds, “low maintenance” ranked high on the list of most desirable home features. We are slowly seeing a decline in the desire for fancy granite and marble countertops that require tedious upkeep, and instead a new draw toward options such as quartz countertops, which are stunning, yet easy to maintain.
- The emergence of sleek and intelligent appliances—rapid movement in technology has allowed even more advanced appliances than ever to hit the market. A new niche for “luxury appliances” has expedited the success in this market space. From touch screen refrigerators, to wifi enabled “kitchen concierge” devices, your kitchen space can now be dramatically transformed.
- Outdoor meal prep, no problem—from grills, to smokers, to pizza ovens, people are interested in enjoying the beauty of the backyard while preparing and eating meals. This is the perfect way to capitalize on the beautiful Minnesota summer and enjoy the sunshine or stars.
- Going green in 2016—although green energy is not necessarily a new concept, energy-efficient and sustainable home updates are seeing a continued increase in demand. Almost all new appliances now come with special energy-saving features. Water-saving dishwashers, for instance, are red hot this year with more options and brands to choose from than ever.
We love capturing these trends in our remodeling projects; we strive to provide the most up-to-date remodeling advice and ideas when working with you on your home. For more information on these trends or to get started on your own remodeling projects, we encourage you to contact us!
We’ve been working diligently on a project that we’re excited to talk about—a beautiful lake home now has several new features that really bring a unique character to the property. What are some of the updates we made? Let’s take a look:
• New rooms, new look—main/entry level rooms are high impact and high traffic areas. That is why we made some meaningful and strategic changes to this home’s kitchen, living area, and dining room. Now both the residents and their guests can enjoy a remarkable new look in a truly transformed home.
• Brand new attic, furnace, AC, and ducting—this involved many steps including: vacuuming and removing insulation from the attic; removing an old AC unit and replacing it with a new one; and replacing the existing baseboard heat with a forced air system.
• The lake-view never looked better—we added three new patio doors (two six ft. wide and one twelve ft. wide) to this home to give a fabulous view of the lake. This made all of the difference in the world for a lakefront property.
• Maple millwork and pre-finished cabinets adds the perfect touch—we put in new engineered, pre-finished rift and quartered white oak 5” wide planks for beautiful flooring and stunning matching cabinets.
• Exceptional Zuri decking over a new deck— we made this important update to manage water and keep space under the deck dry. We also added stainless steel cable railings to compliment the structure.
• Front yard fun—for curb appeal, we worked on a completely new stoop and garage driveway. And that’s not all; we also utilized maintenance-free Hardi pre-finished siding, soffit, and fascia along with new shingles to enhance the home from both the curb and the lake. Now, the amazing inside matches a new and refreshing outside to create an all-around property metamorphosis.
We had a great time working on this home and continue to love helping families achieve their renovation dreams. If you would like to learn more about this project or maybe start an entirely new one of your own, contact us and we’ll get started!
Just a friendly reminder to stop by our booth at the Home Improvement and Design Expo on March 19th at the Maple Grove Community Center!
Stop by and say hello to us in Booth #31 in the Lower Level!
This is a great show for the northwest metro area and for any home improvement enthusiasts! This is the premier home show in Maple Grove!
Find out what what’s new and start planning your summer projects. Bring your ideas and blueprints!
Where: 12951 Weaver Lake Rd, Maple Grove, MN 55369
When: Saturday, March 19, 2016 | 10am until 5pm
With spring right around the corner it is the perfect time to check off some of the remodeling to-do’s on your list. Even some of our recent smaller projects, made a huge difference for their homeowners. Here are just a few examples:
Recently we kicked off a project on a home right off of Lake Calhoun—this is a beautiful area to stroll around and we wanted the homeowners to be proud of their new updates. Here are some of the items we worked on:
- We spray foamed the ductwork in one of the crawl spaces to improve energy efficiency. This is a great way to save on utility costs and be environmentally friendly.
- Wood paneling is becoming a bit outdated—we removed interior paneling from a few rooms and repainted with sleek new colors. Going along with our touch ups, we also painted all of the stained woodwork white to match the new look.
- Bathrooms are the perfect place to focus your plans—we gave the main level bathroom a serious upgrade with a new vanity and medicine cabinet.
- Adding to the list, we also replaced the washer dryer area with new cabinetry and a wet bar.
- An easy way to make big visual impact—we changed some of the rooms by either adding a wall or shrinking an existing opening. The best part? Nothing involved with this was structural, but the results dramatically changed the look and feel.
- Lastly, we “pickled” the wood siding on the walls in the upstairs loft and repainted the beams. This is a great way to create a warm and modern environment.
Also in Minneapolis, we recently worked on a smaller scale project off of Dean Parkway and were delighted with the results. Here’s a look at what we did:
- Wood ceiling beams were added to the living room—this was the perfect way to update the appearance of an everyday room.
- Cabinets are also an effective way to update the look of a kitchen—we added a new pantry cabinet, remodeled a base cabinet into a recycling center, and worked on another cabinet by turning half of the space under the sink into a pull out garbage bin.
Smaller projects in your home can be a great alternative to a total overhaul. We would love to help out with all of your needs—both big and small!
SHOWCASE RENOVATIONS WILL BE AT THE HOME IMPROVEMENT AND DESIGN EXPO!
March 19, 2016
Maple Grove Community Center, Maple Grove
Attention all home improvement enthusiasts! The Home Improvement and Design Expo returns to Maple Grove Community Center on Saturday, March 19th for the premier home show in Maple Grove!
Spring is the time to start planning your summer projects, so come on down and bring your ideas and blueprints!
Where: 12951 Weaver Lake Rd, Maple Grove, MN 55369
When: Saturday, March 19, 2016 | 10am until 5pm